No code approach has a very straightforward name which does not require a lengthy explanation. No-code development is based on utilization of visual programming languages which enable creation of powerful programs and applications without any coding.
What is no code?
No-code development is an alternative to the traditional ways of software
creation which is particularly valuable for those who don’t have technical training and
would like to set up applications without hiring professional programmers. No-code thus also
allows to reduce the expenses on app development as well
as to avoid delays when it comes to it as business founders and entrepreneurs won`t recruit
pricey developers to launch the application.
No code is a useful approach for startups and small businesses which work on a limited budget which does not allow to hire a dedicated programmers team or outsource the task of application buildout to some contractor. Instead, those businesses can utilize no-code platforms to create an MVP and aggrandize their functionality without stressing out about technical peculiarities which are required to make their program or app work.
No-code environment is often used by firms which strive to automate their workflow with cloud-based applications. This setting has been created to accommodate the needs of end-users and achieved an accelerated software development lifecycle SDLC. As no-code allows to circumvent time, budget, and personnel resources, it is principally different from traditional software solutions which are defined and often limited by those resources.
The way of working which enables non-technical personnel to create and scale up technological solutions is also known as creating “citizen developers’. In such a way, staff can apply no-code tools to resolve business needs for software engineers or developers without recruiting them and with the human resources already available to quickly deliver applications to cater specific company’s needs.
Difference between low code and no-code development
As we reviewed what is no code, let’s look at
what is low code
and how are they different. No code and low code programming strategies are not identical even
though they are sometimes conflated.
No-code and low-code approaches have a lot in common, including the prompt application development. Both no-code and low-code development platforms increasingly gain in popularity as an alternative to the traditional software buildout. They attract a lot of new users because they offer an opportunity to create programs relatively fast and economically, with no or little technical training and don’t necessitate to dive into lots of technical nuances.
However, no-code and low-code apps are not interchangeable. Low-code platforms might be utilized by those who don’t have specialized technical skills yet at some point a developer or programmer should intervene to bring in finishing touches to an application developed by a non-professional.
That’s why low-code app development demands some idea or skills of programming, whereas there are no such prerequisites for no-code app development. Basically, even somebody who doesn’t have a clue of the basics of programming can set up products with no-code. And this is what makes no-code software development stand out amongst the plentiful ways of development.
Pros of no-code platform
No code development platforms reshape the situation in application creation
as they bridge the gap between the business requirements and availability of the qualified
No-code software is a great choice for organizations and enterprises that
want to meet their needs in functional apps quickly and without extra turmoil.
No-code platforms have numerous advantages which include:
- Opportunity to broaden developing personnel and enhance presence online. The number of business to employee mobile applications (B2E) which are elaborated with codeless instruments steadily increases. Thus the environment of the app creators includes more and more people, also called citizen developers, who don’t have coding skills but some ideas to drive their business forward which they implement in app creation. Citizen developers are able to deliver technological solutions which optimally suit business needs whereas IT personnel can give oversight. Thanks to this, non-technical personnel can create applications and give them functionality and look expected by your employees and customers.
- It allows companies to streamline company’s way of working with IT. Firms can devise scalable and technological products to support their position on the market with no-code development. Needless to say that IT applications are quintessential in the current-day business environment, even for those firms that don’t deliver Software as a Service (SaaS).
- It allows to do away with shadow IT. If software products are applied in other settings or goals than it was designed or authorised for, they are called shadow IT. However, no code setting allows one to have more control on how software is utilized as it is geared towards very specific usage.
- It permits to minimize IT backlog. If the main IT personnel is overwhelmed with the tasks, some of the minor responsibilities can be delegated to citizen developers. This will make programmers free and still keep a room for advances.
- It enhances agility. With built-in components such as templates, workflows, and UIs it is possible to create an app without remodelling of these elements. Thus, no-code apps can have richer functionality and be elaborated, implemented, and customized to the needs of a specific company faster.
- It allows to keep the costs low. Highly-skilled and experienced developers are pricey, However, with no-code expenditure on them would be reduced to a minimum as you won`t need to hire them to get an application or would need that less. Besides, expenses on development working hours would be also much lower too as time spent on buildout and launch with no-code development would be shorter.
- It endorses productivity. No-code approach means fast development with insignificant investment and little technical training. It allows firms to recruit less programmers which can be contacted for more complicated tasks.
- It comes together with flexibility. Traditional or low-code development does not allow to quickly change functions or settings if people don’t master the distinct programming language well. As opposed to that, in a no-code setting it is possible to easily introduce changes by revamping a specific part of an app. Alterations would be then automatically passed from backend to front end.
Disadvantages of no code
Despite all its perks, no-code development still has several cons which
should be taken into account before one applies no-code as the technological solution.
The main cons of no-code are:
- It requires thinking through the concept of an app before starting out with no-code. This holds true in cases of traditional or low-code development too, but this is an especially crucial prerequisite in case of no-coding. Before no-coding, one should overview what are the main objectives and how they would be reflected in particular tasks. Should the objectives change, the way of working would need to be reviewed and adjusted.
- It has a restricted choice of templates. Certainly, there are countless built-in features which are offered by no-code platforms but they foresee a fixed set of opportunities for fixed situations and scenarios. In case you would require a new technological solution which deviates from the ready-made one, things wouldn’t advance and you wouldn’t be able to find any no-code solution to resolve the situation. Because the offer of building blocks is often limited, it might significantly impact an approach to problem solving. In other words, instead of building what one wants to create, one would have to create one can create and has resources for.
- It isn`t 100% secure. As no-code setting relies on pre-configured blocks and templates, it is difficult to figure out what is responsible for what and how data is processed. This can cause concerns about data breach, code distortion, or malicious code which could affect an enterprise. Those are valid security concerns, especially if some sensitive info like financial or medical information is processed.
Given all those flaws of no-code, it is not the ideal way of programming. However, it still has huge potential for non-technical personnel and companies with limited time, stuff, and budget means to launch simple yet functional apps which are well-aligned with their working process and suited to the business prerequisites.
Features of no-code platforms
Most of the efficient no-code platforms are characterized by the following 3 features:
- They have a user-friendly user interface (UI) to relate to the hard- or software (builder). This allows to create applications’ compounds quickly (to drag/drop them or to import/export them) using dialog dialogue tools. Besides, it is possible to see what the end result will look like before moving to the next stage.
- Diverse components can be applied and reused for other goals and projects.
- They can be integrated with other applications of Google Services, Slack, or other analytic technologies.
What kinds of apps can I build with no-code?
- Agile and efficient back-office applications. With no-code, you can collect and analyze valuable business data without any external apps. Filter, search, import, and export info in the way which suits business needs with no-code.
- Performant web applications facing clients. They link back-end structures like databases and front offices where interaction with clients takes place. No-code application development allows users to easily create web sites with customized branding and check-out features.
- Mobile applications which are web-based, so you won’t even need to download a custom software and code but only have connection to the web and a browser.
The best no code app development platforms
There is a wide choice of no-code platforms with new systems emerging regularly on the market. The key platforms include:
- AppSheet. A no-code platform for data collection and processing. It allows the creation of apps using spreadsheet and database programs such as Google Drive, Dropbox, Office365 and other cloud-based platforms.
- Microsoft Power Apps. This is a set of services, apps, and data platforms for building customized apps in a rapid environment.
- Airtable. A cloud collaboration tool which combines traits of a database and a spreadsheet.
- Nintex Platform for workflow automation. Plan, manage, and optimize business processes with the automated data.
- BP Logix BPMX. A no-code and low-code platform which is powered by AI and assists in digital transformation of the companies.
- Scapic. It`s a quite useful technological solution for the ecommerce industry as it brings augmented reality into a store thus allowing the clients to look at the items in 3D.
- Outgrow. A platform which endorses marketing strategy with interactive content features like forms, quizzes, evaluations, tips, polls, chatbots, giveaways, and surveys.
- Salesforce Platform. A platform which enables automation of workflow, integration with third-party apps, and responsive design.
- Voiceflow. A system which makes it possible to create voice apps for Alexa tools and Google actions for everybody. Not a single code line is required.
- Bubble. It`s a visual app platform which caters the needs of creative people to easily elaborate apps using a simple point-and-click tool. It allows you to give a form to an idea, to prototype it and eventually launch it in an app.
- Nutshell. It`s a helpful assistant for sales automation and optimization. With this CRM, sales personnel can concentrate on building relations with clients by building diverse customer-oriented tools.
- MailChimp. It`s a must for those startups and firms that strive to reach out to a wider audience. It enables them to gather and analyze client information, carry out surveys, initiate social media campaigns, and make communication with clients easier.
Why use Exoft for no-code development?
Exoft is a reliable partner on a no-code journey with a vast experience in guiding the clients through this process. We offer customized support for efficient and rapid development to help your enterprise to launch responsive, scalable, and secure applications. If you want to start using future-proof no-code technology, effectively use workforce and financial resources while creating the apps, Exoft is the right choice.